About Me

My photo
Tarlac City, Tarlac, Philippines
I am a full-time single mom, part-time wellness coach, blogger and a vegan. I created this blog to help and inspire people take better care of themselves and the planet so we could all have healthier, happier lives. I believe that eating all natural whole foods will result in great health, long life, inner peace and overall wellbeing. Also, adapting an eco-friendly lifestyle gives a sense of contribution that will benefit many generations to come. Here you'll learn how to easily prepare delicious and nutritious plant-based food and make eco-friendly lifestyle decisions everyday. I am looking forward to help enrich lives and demonstrate how everyone can implement small changes to make choices that benefit not only ourselves but also everyone sharing this planet.

Tuesday, June 05, 2012

Just made a really tasty way of cooking squash, As of writing my son and I are rubbing our tummies with contentment.

It was raining hard this afternoon and in my hurry to get home I forgot to buy veggies at the market. While on the ride home I said to myself that I will try making kare-kare (peanut sauce) with some of the tofu I made the other day. I saw this really nice squash which my dad must have brought home and decided to cook it along with the tofu, 
here's the recipe, it's a must try!

Tofu and Squash Kare-kare

3 Tbsp Kare-Kare mix, I used Mama Sita's you can find it in any Asian store that carries Filipino products.
200 grams tofu sliced 1/2 inch thick
150 grams squash cut into 1 inch cubes
1 clove garlic grated
1 small shallot finely chopped
1 Tbsp canola oil

Procedure:
  • Pour oil and grated garlic in a saucepan, turn on the heat at a very low setting.
  • when you start to smell the garlic, add the shallots and the squash turning the heat up to medium setting. sear the squash on all sides season with a little salt cover for a minute.
  • add the tofu and sear on both sides.
  • dilute the peanut sauce mix in a cup of water and add to the pan.
  • season with salt, cover and let simmer on low heat until the sauce is thickened.     
serve with steaming rice and some steamed kangkong, pechay, string beans or eggplant. I had some kangkong on hand so that's what I used. Yummy!!



2 comments:

  1. Looks good pero may kulang. Kahit isang kutsaritang bagoong alamang pwede naman siguro. Hehe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. VEGAN po ako =) no meat, no dairy, no fish, no eggs hence no bagoong, Masarap po sya lalo na kung malagkit ung kalabasa at firm yung tofu, kapag sakto sa timpla no need for condiments, iwas rin po sa dagdag na salt.

      Delete