Just made a really tasty way of cooking squash, As of writing my son and I are rubbing our tummies with contentment.
It was raining hard this afternoon and in my hurry to get home I forgot to buy veggies at the market. While on the ride home I said to myself that I will try making kare-kare (peanut sauce) with some of the tofu I made the other day. I saw this really nice squash which my dad must have brought home and decided to cook it along with the tofu,
here's the recipe, it's a must try!
Tofu and Squash Kare-kare
3 Tbsp Kare-Kare mix, I used Mama Sita's you can find it in any Asian store that carries Filipino products.
200 grams tofu sliced 1/2 inch thick
150 grams squash cut into 1 inch cubes
1 clove garlic grated
1 small shallot finely chopped
1 Tbsp canola oil
- Pour oil and grated garlic in a saucepan, turn on the heat at a very low setting.
- when you start to smell the garlic, add the shallots and the squash turning the heat up to medium setting. sear the squash on all sides season with a little salt cover for a minute.
- add the tofu and sear on both sides.
- dilute the peanut sauce mix in a cup of water and add to the pan.
- season with salt, cover and let simmer on low heat until the sauce is thickened.